Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I've been to my OBGYN 3 times in the last week!

So, I met with my actual OBGYN yesterday. I checked in and sat in the waiting room and as I sat there, I saw another woman walk in and say to the receptionist, "I'm here to see Dr. Hess." Ugh! That's my doctor! I better get in first because I was totally on time. But as usual, they overschedule everybody, leaving the doctor with just enough time to say "what's your problem?" and "see you later." I did get back to the room quickly though and only had to wait a few minutes for Dr. Hess to arrive. Her personality is fairly straight-forward and sometimes that can be interpreted as cold, but I think that's just her and I'm starting to accept that.

We discussed the PCOS, symptoms, frequency (or lack thereof) of my periods, and treatment. First and foremost, she wanted to me come in and have a fasting glucose test or whatever the official name for it is. PCOS and diabetes can be related and PCOS can lead to insulin resistance which can then lead to type 2 (I think) diabetes if not treated. So I fasted for 12 hours yesterday and went in for some blood work this morning. I should find out the results within a day or two. I'm assuming they will call me back because if I have to call them, I'm going to be pissed.

If the tests show insulin resistance, or pre-diabetes, then they put you on a drug called Metformin. You can google it and read about it, I don't know that many details. Apparently that can help regulate your period and help control some of the lovely traits of PCOS, ie: acne, excess hair growth, weight gain, etc. If we want to be more aggressive with trying to get pregnant, they would couple the Metformin with Clomid, which is an oral fertility drug, again, google. There are some lovely side effects with both Metformin and Clomid. Metformin has mostly GI (gastrointestinal) side effects so I'll be pooping my pants a lot. If my tests come back normal, well then the course of treatment is usually either birth control or Clomid. Obviously we're not gonna go the birth control route, been there, done that, perhaps we'll meet again in the future. So pretty much, it's going to be very difficult for me to get pregnant again without the help of something...unless Venus aligns with Jupiter in the 7th sun, and that's not predicted until the year 2315!

No comments:

Post a Comment