Monday, December 7, 2009

He's a she-he, She's a he-she

Yeah so I watched a show on the Discovery Health Channel this weekend called "Transgendered and Pregnant". I won't get into how weird the show was but I will give a little background. The "husband" is a female-to-male transgender and the "wife" is a male-to-female transgender. Both of them had been on hormone injections for a long time but both had their original anatomy. It was said that once a male takes female hormones for 6 months or longer, he becomes sterile. And similar for the female-to-male. But SOMEHOW, by the way of this wacky world, they ended up getting pregnant naturally. In fact, they were so surprised that the "husband" (former female) got pregnant, she didn't even find out until she was 28 weeks along.

Now a little tidbit of info on PCOS for you: part of the problem of PCOS is that your body produces too many androgens, which are male hormones, causing problems with ovulation, amongst many other things.

Riddle me this: How is it that these two transgenders, who've been on opposite hormones for years, somehow conceive naturally and have a totally "normal" pregnancy yet I'm sitting here relying on a synthetic drug to trick my brain into producing more estrogen so I'm able to ovulate? Not to mention, hopefully being able to carry a pregnancy to term!

Ay yay yay. Some things in life will never make sense to me.

1 comment:

  1. Completely doesn't make sense. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get a plus-sign SOON - and that the plus-sign is followed by a happy and healthy 9 months. Love you!

    ReplyDelete